We are all faced with myriad options in the realm of diet and exercise. Veganism being a popular philosophy and practice, it draws affection from those of us who uphold the intrinsic value and worth of our furry counterparts, as well as those who prefer to fuel their body's with plant-based proteins and nutrients. The path upon which vegans travel differ, based largely on their world view of how the use of animal-based products impact our overall health and wellbeing. The tangents available to us are vast, but my intentions are to shed light on the uses of animal-based products in our cosmetics & beauty products that may or may not be on your radar.
I have experimented with diets throughout my life, first becoming a vegetarian at the age of 11 after my introduction to the feedlots surrounding my childhood home town. In hindsight, I see that the biggest drawback of a plant-based diet to the untrained and naive person - or in my case, child - is the potential for a lack in nutrients and proteins necessary for the regenerative processes of our body and mind. As I ventured into my college years I found that my body was craving animal-based proteins for sustenance. Now as a momma, I strive to find a balance of plant-based proteins, green leafy veggies, root veggies and some animal protein to create colorful, flavorful meals.
We enjoy being omnivorous and support local ranchers who raise grass fed, humanely raised cattle and chickens that we incorporate into our diet during 2-4 meals a week. We utilize many vegan/vegetarian cookbooks and rarely eat out. Having children, I feel it is important to provide them with a wide variety of proteins and nutrients to help them grow. I do not begrudge vegan/vegetarian families whatsoever and know many healthy, happy vegan children who are as brilliant and boisterous as any other child. For my children, I want them to understand how our purchases impact the lives of those animals we raise for food, whether or not they chose to consume meat as part of their regular diet.
I have gained an ever-expanding respect for the animals that give their lives for our health and wellbeing, as well as a greater understanding of the vastness to which their bodies are transformed into products that we use on a daily basis. Now for a bit of disturbing information, please don't hate the messenger, but it's stuff you need to know.
How many of you know or understand what a rendering plant is?
Yes? Ewwww, right? No? I'll give you a brief summary: all the animal parts not used for consumption - whether from healthy or sickly animals - go through a process to produce 'fat commodities' and bone meal. The tallow, as this fat commodity is often referred to, is the fatty tissue that floats to the top of large vats in which animal carcasses, spoiled meat and trimmings from slaughterhouses are boiled down. This fatty tissue is skimmed off the top of the vats, or rendered, and shipped off to a variety of different industries, the largest of which use it in our beauty products.
So when I ask 'to vegan or not to vegan?', what I want to discuss are vegan vs non-vegan beauty products. Regardless of whether you chose to eat meat on a weekly basis or not, the decisions that we make in the purchase of our beauty products are just as impactful to the treatment of animals who are part and parcel to the commodity cycles that support our society. I'll save the discussion on how products permeate our skin and get into our blood stream for another post, but with the large majority of consumable goods containing tallow as a filler, it begs the questions: Do I want to put that on my skin? My children's skin? My lips? My hair?
We'll dive into this more, but I feel like this is a good place to stop and ask for your first reactions. To vegan or not to vegan?
No comments:
Post a Comment